I’ve broken the 300 mark (about 1/3 done on this project!). I got up early before work everyday this week to work on drawing the profile pictures of all of my Facebook friends, a project I set for myself earlier this summer.
I realized in my last post that I was considerably behind schedule if I wish to finish by September 1st. I guess technically, if I want to finish “over the summer,” which was my original goal, I have until the Autumn Solstice, September 22nd. But I’ll still try to finish before the beginning of September, if possible.
I am still really enjoying making these drawings. It doesn’t feel like work at all! And this has made me consider a possible branch-off career in illustration. I know, I know, “selling out” and all that. But it doesn’t have to be like that! I love the idea of drawing little political cartoons and illustrating articles and stories with quirky little illustrations.
The way I draw has a definite humorous/dark/quirky tone to it, and that would have to remain a part of the work. Hopefully someone out there could accept that! Since I’ve started this project, I was asked to illustrate the icons for a friend’s wife’s blog (images coming soon!) and I am also working on an illustration for the 69 Love Songs Illustrated Project.
In addition, I’ve volunteered to do caricatures at art-a-site! Gallery during the upcoming Black Swamp Arts Festival. I’m doing them for donations to art-a-site on the Saturday during the festival about 1pm-til. We’ll see how that goes! I’ll put up a warning sign that they’ll be quirky. It has been said by gallery-goers that I “brought nudity to main street” when my artwork was hung in the gallery windows, so hopefully they will know to expect the unexpected!
On a side note, I’ve always had the dream to do a performance art project where I set up a caricatures booth in public and then, without the patrons’ knowledge, draw each person as the opposite gender. Don’t worry, I don’t plan to attempt this at the Black Swamp Arts Fest! But it is an idea for the future. It would be interesting to see what happened. Hopefully not fist fights. I wouldn’t charge them at the end.
So, all of that aside, let me know if you have an illustration work for me! I promise not to switch genders on what I draw, at least the part I send to you! Keep on scrolling to see the spreads I’ve completed in the past couple of days. I put details at the end, as well as some more screen shots of those of you who have bravely placed my doodles as your new profile pics and/or reposted my project for others to see! Thanks!
And, Once Again, Thanks for the Support!
- 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- Part II of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- Part III of 939 Drawings: Charles Beneke, You Asked for It
- Part IV of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- Part V of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink: #102-145
- Part VI of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- The Long-Suffering Eisel, Part VII of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- Hot Mess, Part VIII of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink
- Part IX of 939 Drawings: My Facebook Friends’ Profile Pictures in Watercolor & Ink